Tuesday, May 16, 2017

American Culture

American culture is very cool and unique because it is seen as drastically different. In this short unit we mostly examined values that Americans hold dearly vs. values that other cultures hold dearly. Throughout the unit I learned a lot about what I hold as values and what many Americans hold as values. For an unbelievable awesome an fun example, Americans really value efficiency. This is why we see so many fast food joints across our glorious landscapes that we call home. I love driving through the beautiful countryside, but hate it when I see the golden arches or the crown of the Burger King(what a tyrant). But this is what our culture gets for wanting cheap and fast food, it builds into our value of efficiency. In the documentary I Am, the director talks about how unhappy he is with his materialistic lifestyle. That's cool and all but I find it hard to relate to. I would love to have jet skis and take a private jet place to place. While nothing makes me feel more alive than flying with 50 other people, I feel like a private jet is a luxury I would enjoy a lot. Anyways, Americans live by a materialistic culture. We don't always realize it, but we are constantly trying to one-up each other with new products. We feel like we have to have the newest and best of everything. A great example is with iPhones. Apple is always coming up with new phones that do the same thing but since its the newest version, they sell like firecrackers on the fourth of July. This differs than many cultures that value relationships with family and friends much higher than objects. I try to stay away from American cultures because they're sad and pathetic. I don't care if I have the best thing and I like quality over quantity. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something crappy just because it is faster to get. I wish more Americans thought this way too! This is cool stuff; god darn this land of the free that tucks me into bed every night like a lamb its dove on a cool breezy night in the heart of the longhorn. Hopefully my grammar isn't too awful but based of the time I'm writing this, one can only imagine. Over under 6.5 mistakes? I'll take the over. And yes I'm a betting man just like many great AMericans. Money us success! Success is risk! Risk is gambling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

American Culture

American culture is very cool and unique because it is seen as drastically different. In this short unit we mostly examined values that Amer...